Rappahannock, a river in the E. part of Virginia, formed by the confluence of the North fork and other small streams, which rise in the Blue Ridge and unite on the N. E. border of Culpeper co. At the S. E. extremity of that county it receives the waters of the Rap-idan, its largest tributary; thence flowing in a devious course, it reaches tide water at Fredericksburg, where by a fall it supplies valuable power; thence it becomes navigable, and enters Chesapeake bay by an estuary about 60 m. long. The whole length in a straight line from its sources to Chesapeake bay is about 140 m., but with its numerous and intricate windings its real length must be nearly twice as much. Its general course is S. E.
Rappahannock, a N. E. county of Virginia, bordered N. E. by the North fork of the Rappahannock, and drained by others of its head waters; area, about 250 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 8,261, of whom 3,066 were colored. It is bordered N. W. by the Blue Ridge, and has a generally fertile soil. The chief productions in 1870 were 103,112 bushels of wheat, 10,755 of rye, 304,040 of Indian corn, 44,297 of oats, 2,058 tons of hay, 23,918 lbs. of tobacco, 15,036 of wool, 87,426 of butter, and 3,319 gallons of sorghum molasses. There were 2,087 horses, 1,904 milch cows, 5,192 other cattle, 3,655 sheep, and 5,615 swine. Capital, "Washington.