Rastadt, a fortified town of Baden, on the Murg, 14 m. S. W. of Carlsruhe; pop. in 1871, 11,559. It has a fine palace, a Protestant and several Catholic churches, a Catholic normal school, a lyceum, and a museum. A congress met here in November, 1713, and a treaty of peace was signed March 6, 1714, ending the Spanish war of succession. The treaty of peace of Campo Formio and the secret Ras-tadt convention of Dec. 1, 1797, gave to France all German fortresses on the Rhine. At the second congress of Rastadt for peace between France and Germany, which opened Dec. 9, 1797, the extravagant demands of the French were granted; but war being renewed, the congress broke up in April, 1799, and the French ambassadors, on leaving, were murdered near the town by Austrian hussars (April 28). By the treaty of Vienna of 1815 Rastadt became a fortress of the Germanic confederation. The Baden revolution of 1849 began here May 11, with a mutiny of the Ba-denese troops, which was followed by a rising in Carlsruhe. A few days later the Austrian garrison abandoned the fortress, which was occupied in June by the insurgent troops under Mieroslawski, a provisional government having replaced that of the grand duke.
The rising extended to the Rhenish Palatinate, but was suppressed by Prussian intervention under the command of the crown prince (the present emperor William). Rastadt was blockaded at the end of June, and bombarded on July 6 and 7, and surrendered on July 23. It was occupied by the Prussians from that time till 1866.