Rockland, a S. E. county of New York, bordered E. by the Hudson river and S. W. by New Jersey, and drained by the Hackensack and Ramapo rivers and several smaller streams; area, 208 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 25,213. It has a rough and mountainous surface, the highest summits having an elevation of 1,000 ft., and the soil is fertile. Red sandstone is extensively quarried, and immense quantities of lime and brick are made. Rockland lake, about 1/2 m. from the Hudson, and 160 ft. above the river, is noted for its yield of ice. The county is intersected by the Erie and Northern New Jersey railroads. The chief productions in 1870 were 12,944 bushels of rye, 57,046 of Indian corn, 30,781 of oats, 11,987 of buckwheat, 85,-694 of potatoes, 11,188 tons of hay, and 144,588 lbs. of butter. There were 1,604 horses, 2,271 milch cows, and 1,420 swine; 5 manufactories of boots and shoes, 34 of brick, 1 of cotton thread and twine, 1 of gold leaf and foil, 4 of iron castings, 2 of machinery, 4 of brick and stone, 1 of wooden ware, 1 of woollen goods, and 1 brewery.
Capital, New City.
Rockland, a city and the county seat of Knox co., Maine, on the W. side of Penobscot bay, at the terminus of the Knox and Lincoln railroad, 40 m. S. E. of Augusta, and 50 m. S. S. W. of Bangor; pop. in 1870, 7,074. The harbor is broad and deep, and there is a very active trade, particularly in the exportation of lime, made from immense quarries of limestone in the vicinity. There are about 80 kilns, employing 1,000 men, and producing 1,200,000 barrels annually. Ship building is also carried on, and there are manufactories of boots and shoes, carriages, cooperage, edge tools, iron castings, harness, machinery, trunks, etc. The city has a fire department, water works, three hotels, two national banks with a joint capital of $250,000, a state bank with a capital of $50,000, a savings bank with about $900,000 deposits, graded public schools, two weekly newspapers, and eight churches, viz.: Baptist (2), Congregational, Episcopal, Freewill Baptist, Methodist, Roman Catholic, and Univer-salist. - Rockland was set off from Thomaston and incorporated as a town, with the name of East Thomaston, in 1848. The name was changed in 1850, and in 1854 a city government was organized.