Rosario, a city of the Argentine Republic, in the province of Santa Fé, on the right bank of the Paraná, 170 m. N. W. of Buenos Ayres; pop. about 40,000, including many foreigners. In 1854, when it contained only 4,000 inhabitants dwelling in wooden sheds and mud huts, it was created a port of entry, and it is now the second commercial city of the republic. The climate is temperate and healthful, the thermometer averaging 78° F., and rarely rising to 100°. The city is well laid out; the streets are paved, lighted with gas, and traversed by cars. There are several handsome churches, theatres, banks, hotels, a custom house, exchange, etc, and docks and wharves are in course of construction. The river here is a mile wide, and vessels of any size may lie alongside of the steep bluff, 50 to 60 ft. high, on which the city stands. Rosario is the natural receiving and distributing centre of a vast region. It is the starting point of the railway system of the interior, designed to consist of two main stems extending to the Pacific coast, with branches to every part of the republic; one line is completed (1875) for nearly 400 m., and another to the Rio Cuarto. In 1874 the official value of merchandise imported direct was $7,046,400; of the exports, $2,101,100, of which $1,073,540 consisted of wool, hides, hair, goat skins, etc., sent to the United States. The movement of shipping to and from foreign ports was 230,209 tons, 69 per cent. of which was steam.