A N. E. Province Of Italy, in Venetia, bordering on Verona, Padua, Venice, the Adriatic, Ferrara, and Mantua; area, 651 sq. m.; pop. in 1872, 200,835. The Po and the Adige are the principal rivers, and there are three other navigable streams and two canals. The chief products are wheat, maize, and other grains, hemp, flax, wines, and wool. Silk culture is increasing. The province is divided into the districts of Adria, Ariano, Badia, Lendinara, Massa, Occhiobello, Pole-sella, and Rovigo.
A Town, capital of the province, on the Adigetto, 35 m. S. W. of Venice; pop. about 10,000. It is surrounded by old walls flanked with towers, and possesses a dilapidated castle. The river, spanned by four bridges, divides the town into two parts, the lower being called San Stefano and the upper San Giustino. In the principal square is a column on which once stood the lion of St. Mark. Besides the fine cathedral, there are 26 churches, but none of them remarkable. It contains also a seminary, a gymnasium, an academy of sciences with a large library, and two theatres. The bishop of Adria usually resides here. The annual fair lasts eight days. Leather and saltpetre are the chief manufactures. The wine of the neighborhood has lost its ancient reputation.