A W. County Of North Carolina, bordered partly on the E. by the Yadkin, and N. E. by the South Yadkin; area, about 600 sq. m.; pop in 1870, 16,810, of whom 5,307 were colored. It has an uneven surface and a generally fertile soil. It is intersected by the Richmond and Danville and the Western North Carolina railroads. The chief productions in 1870 were 126,753 bushels of wheat, 289,400 of Indian corn, 119,132 of oats, 4,142 tons of hay, 520 bales of cotton, 54,810 lbs. of tobacco, 9,699 of wool, 70,104 of butter, and 9,658 gallons of sorghum molasses. There were 2,654 horses, 899 mules and asses, 3,529 milch cows, 4,294 other cattle, 7,669 sheep, and 18,023 swine; 5 manufactories of carriages and wagons, 1 of freight and passenger cars, 1 of chewing tobacco, and 3 wool-carding establishments. Capital, Salisbury.
A N. E. County Of Kentucky, bounded W. by Licking river, and drained by several tributaries of that stream; area, about 500 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 2,991, of whom 32 were colored. The surface is uneven and hilly, and a large portion of it is covered with forests. The chief productions in 1870 were 2,786 bushels of wheat, 112,040 of Indian corn, 15,950 of oats, 56,275 lbs. of butter, 7,072 of wool, 11,295 of tobacco, and 552 tons of hay. There were 721 horses, 720 milch cows, 1,125 other cattle, 3,521 sheep, and 2,900 swine. Capital, Morehead.