Saint Albans, a town and the capital of Franklin co., Vermont, bordering on Lake Champlain, at the junction of several divisions of the Central Vermont railroad, 52 m. N. W. of Montpelier, 23 m. N. by E. of Burlington, and 14 m. S. of the Canada line; pop. in 1850, 1,814; in 1860, 3,637; in 1870, 7,014. The surrounding country abounds in fine scenery. The principal village is on an elevated plain 3 m. from the lake. In its centre is a neat park of four acres, around which are the county buildings, hotels, one of the school houses, and several churches. In the vicinity are quarries of calico stone and variegated marble, and a sulphur spring. There is a market every Tuesday, when the farmers from the adjacent country assemble, and large quantities of dairy products are sold. The quotations of butter and cheese at St. Albans affect the market throughout the eastern states. About 350,000 lbs. of butter and 5,000 lbs. of cheese, worth $110,000, are shipped annually, chiefly to Boston. The town contains the extensive car shops of the railroad company, a manufactory of carriages, several marble shops, iron and steel works, a rolling mill producing steel rails, and manufactories of mowers, stoves, and various kinds of castings.
There are two national banks, a savings bank and trust company, six hotels,graded and grammar schools occupying two buildings, two daily newspapers, one issuing a semiweekly and the other a weekly edition, a nunnery, and six churches.
Saint Albans, a town of Hertfordshire, England, 20 m. N. W. of London; pop. in 1871, 8,303. It is built on the summit and side of a hill, has little trade, and the principal manufacture is straw plaiting and straw bonnet making. The cathedral-like abbey church was part of a Benedictine monastery founded in 795, and St. Michael's church contains the remains of Lord Bacon. The town was disfranchised for bribery in 1852. - St. Albans was built in 950, and incorporated by Edward VI. in 1553. It is near the site of the Roman Verulamium (Verulam), ruins of whose walls are still visible. During the wars of the roses two battles were fought here: on May 22, 1455, when the duke of York gained the day and the duke of Somerset, who led the Lancastrians, was killed; and on Feb. 17, 1461, when Queen Margaret, commanding the Lancastrians, gained a victory over the Yorkists, led by the earl of Warwick, and rescued Henry VI. from captivity.