Santa Clara, a W. county of California, bounded N. by San Francisco bay, watered by the Coyote and Guadalupe rivers and other small streams; area, 1,332 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 26,246, of whom 1,525 were Chinese. It occupies the fertile valley between the Coast and Santa Cruz mountains, extending to the summits of the ranges on either side. The hillsides are heavily wooded with redwood, oak, ma-drone, spruce, etc. There are mineral and hot springs. The New Almaden and Guadalupe quicksilver mines are in this county. It is traversed by the Southern Pacific railroad, and by the San Jose branch of the Central Pacific. The chief productions in 1870 were 1,188,137 bushels of wheat, 405,575 of barley, 31,764 of potatoes, 85,150 gallons of wine, 179,465 lbs. of wool, 179,675 of butter, 525,290 of cheese, 94,000 of hops, and 45,779 tons of hay. There were 7,926 horses, 7,553 milch cows, 14,569 other cattle, 49,085 sheep, and 8,135 swine; 3 manufactories of carriages and wagons, 2 of iron, 2 of machinery, 1 of paper, 12 of saddlery and harness, 6 of tin, copper, and sheet-iron ware, 1 of woollens, 2 establishments for smelting quicksilver, 2 planing mills, 6 saw mills, 2 tanneries, 2 currying establishments, and 8 flour mills.
Capital, San José.