Scranton, a city of Luzerne co., Pennsylvania, on the left or S. E. bank of the Lackawanna river, 105 m. N. by W. of Philadelphia; pop. in 1853, about 3,000; in 1860, 9,223; in 1870, 35,092, of whom 15,887 were foreigners, including 3,056 Germans, 1,445 English, 6,491 Irish, and 4,177 Welsh. It occupies the plateau at the confluence of Roaring brook and the Lackawanna, is handsomely laid out, with wide straight streets, and is lighted with gas and well supplied with water. It contains many fine residences and public buildings, but its general appearance is sombre. Its importance is due to its situation in the most northern of the anthracite basins and to its railroad facilities. Five lines centre here, viz.: the Delaware, Lackawanna, and Western, the Pennsylvania coal company's railroad, the Lehigh and Susquehanna, the Delaware and Hudson, and the Lackawanna and Bloomsburg. The trade in mining supplies is extensive, and the shipments of coal are immense. Its manufactures, especially of iron, are also large. There are blast furnaces, rolling mills, founderies, machine shops, saw mills, flouring mills, breweries, gunpowder works, etc.
The city has 12 banking institutions, with an aggregate capital of $1,351,450; a hospital and a home for friendless women and children; excellent public schools, with about 7,500 pupils; several private schools and academies; two daily and seven weekly (two German and one Welsh) newspapers; and 31 churches, in five of which the services are in German and in seven in Welsh. - Scranton was incorporated as a borough in 1854 and as a city in 1866. It has grown with great rapidity, its site having been occupied by a farm and a swamp previous to 1844, when a rolling mill was started.