Sedan (anc. Sedanum), a fortified town of France, in the department of Ardennes, on the right bank of the Meuse, 130 m. N. E. of Paris; pop. in 1872, 14,345. It has fine squares and promenades, a Protestant and three Catholic churches, and a château in which Turenne was born. Fine black cloths and cassimeres, linen, hosiery, leather, hardware, and firearms are manufactured. Sedan was formerly the capital of a principality, which in 1591 came into possession of the Turenne family, who in 1642 ceded it to France. It had a celebrated Protestant university, which was suppressed on the revocation of the edict of Nantes in 1685. The chairs commonly known as sedans took their name from this town. The fortress surrendered to the Hessians in 1815, and was occupied by the Prussians till November, 1816. Here the Germans, on Sept. 1, 1870, obtained a victory over the French, which led to the capitulation of the fortress, and the capture of Napoleon III. and his army. (See France, vol. vii., p. 397).