Sergipe, a maritime province of Brazil, the smallest in the empire, bounded N. by Alagôas, from which it is separated by the Rio São Francisco, E. by the Atlantic, and S. and W. by Bahia; area, 12,240 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 275,000. - It has a coast line of 130 m., with few indentations and no good harbors. The shore in the southern half is mostly low and sandy; in the northern there are scattered hills. The E. part of the province is called the mattas, from its forests, which produce valuable timber, and are here and there separated by cultivable land; the western, called the agrestes, is mostly a barren waste, with some portions tit for pasturage in the rainy season. The latter region is the higher, and somewhat mountainous, the principal range being the low Serra d'ltabayana. Besides the São Francisco, there are several small rivers falling into the Atlantic, none of them navigable by small craft for more than 27 m. from the sea. In the shore region the climate is hot and the soil fertile, yielding large crops of cotton, sugar cane, tobacco, mandioca, rice, and millet; some flax is produced, and mangoes and oranges abound. The exports include cotton, sugar, tobacco, rum, and ipecacuanha.
The number of schools reported in 1875 was 149, with a total attendance of 5,247. Capital, Aracajú, near the mouth of the Cotinguiba river.