Seringapatam (Hindoo, Sringa-patna), a city of India, in Mysore, 7 m. N. E. of the city of Mysore, 2,412 ft. above the sea; pop. about 13,000. It is on the upper end of an island, about 3 m. long, in the Cavery river, and was strongly fortified under native rule. The more prominent buildings are a Hindoo temple, a handsome mosque, the mausoleum of Hyder Ali and Tippoo Sahib, and the ancient palace of the rajahs of Mysore. Seringapatam first appears historically in 1610 as the capital of a Mysore chief named Raj Wadeyar, and was unsuccessfully besieged by the Mahrattas in 1697. In 1765 Hyder Ali established his government there, and a Mahratta army again attacked the city in 1772 and forced him to a humiliating peace. During the reign of Tippoo Sahib, in 1792, it was invested by a large British force under Lord Cornwallis, who exacted a war indemnity of £3,300,000 from the native monarch, together with the cession of about half his dominions to the English and their allies. In 1799 Seringapatam underwent a celebrated siege. It was invested by the British and the allied forces of the nizam, about 31,000 strong, under Gen. Harris, on April 6, and was stormed and captured on May 4, after four days' bombardment, and a loss to the British of 1,164 killed and wounded.
The assault was led by Gen. Baird, and Col. Wellesley, afterward duke of Wellington, participated in it. Tippoo Sahib was killed, and 929 pieces of ordnance, together with enormous amounts of treasure and jewels, fell into the hands of the victors; £1,100,000 in prize money was divided among the troops. In 1809 the discontent with the management of the Madras army led to a mutiny of the European officers stationed at Seringapatam, who fired upon the royal troops, but subsequently submitted. Seringapatam is now included within the Ashtagram commis-sionership of Mysore.