William, an English clergyman, born in Southwark about 1641, died in Hampstead, June 19, 1707. He was educated at Eton and at Peter house, Cambridge, and became rector of the parish of St. George, Bo-tolph lane, London, in 1669, prebend of St. Pancras in the cathedral of St. Paul's in 1681, master of the Temple in 1684, and dean of St. Paul's in 1691. He refused the oaths of allegiance to William and Mary, and was suspended from his preferment, but at length submitted and took them. The principal of his numerous works are: "Case of the Allegiance due to the Sovereign Powers," "Vindication of the Doctrine of the Trinity," and "A Practical Discourse on Death."
Thomas, an English prelate, son of the preceding, born in London in 1678, died there, July 18, 1761. He was educated at Catharine hall, Cambridge, of which college he became master. In 1704 he was made master of the Temple, in 1714 vice chancellor of the university, and in 1715 dean of Chichester. For his opposition to Dr. Hoadley in the Bangorian controversy he incurred the royal displeasure, and in 1717 was removed from the list of the king's chaplains. He was made bishop of Bangor in 1728, of Salisbury in 1734, and of London in 1748. ' His works consist principally of sermons, and were published in 5 vols. 8vo in 1830. Of his "Pastoral Letter," published after the earthquake in 1750, nearly 100,000 copies were printed.