Shrewsbury,the shire town of Shropshire, England, on the river Severn, 140 m. N. W. of London; pop. in 1871, 23,406. The remains of the ancient castle are still standing, and also a portion of the ancient walls of the city. The Severn is crossed by two bridges; there is a canal, and railways connect it with all parts of the kingdom. Shrewsbury is the seat of a Roman Catholic bishop, and in 1872 had 32 places of worship. The principal manufactures consist of thread, linen yarn, and canvas; and there are extensive iron works at Coleham, a suburb. The salmon fishery of the Severn is valuable. There is a considerable trade in Welsh flannels. - Shrewsbury was important in the 5th century, and is prominent in English history as a royal residence for short periods. Its original name of Pengwern was changed by the Saxons to Scrobbesbyrig (Scrubsborough), of which Shrewsbury is a corruption. Parliaments were held here in 1283 and 1398; and a battle was fought here in 1403 between the royalist troops and the insurgents under Douglas and Hotspur, in which the latter was killed. (See Percy).