Sing Sing, a village in the township of Os-sining, Westchester co., New York, beautifully situated on high ground on the E. bank of the Hudson river, at its widest part, called Tappan bay, 30 m. above New York; pop. in 1875, 6,500. There arc several manufactories, the principal being two of files, one of lawn mowers, two of carriages, one of Brandreth pills, and one of porous plasters. The village contains a national bank, a savings bank, a public school, a Roman Catholic school, a female seminary, a school for preparing boys for West Point, three military schools, 12 private schools, two weekly newspapers, and six churches. It is the seat of one of the state prisons. The male division was erected by convicts, the first draft of whom, from Auburn state prison, began work in May, 1825. It contains 1,200 cells, is 484 ft. long by 44 ft. wide, and six stories high, with ranges of workshops running at right angles, 40 ft. wide and two and three stories high. The female division, with 120 cells, is on the E. side of the male division, and under separate management; it was begun in 1835. Both buildings are of white marble. (See New York, vol. xii., p. 367).