Sinope (Turk. Smith), a fortified seaport town of Asia Minor, in the Turkish vilayet of Kastamuni, on the S. shore of the Black sea, 325 m. E. N. E. of Constantinople; pop. about 10,000. It stands on an isthmus which connects the mainland with a high rocky peninsula called Cape Sinope, forming on its S. E. side a roadstead, which is the best anchorage on that shore. The town has an arsenal and the only ship yard in Turkey except that at Constantinople, and many Turkish war vessels are built there. There is a massive castle erected in the time of the Greek emperors, and new fortifications are nearly completed (1876). It is a coal depot for steamers between Constantinople and Trebizond. Oak timber is largely exported. - Sinope became important after its second colonization from Miletus, about 630 B. C, and continued independent till 183, when it was captured by Pharnaces, king of Pontus, of which country it became the capital. It was much ornamented and improved by Mithridates the Great. Having been conquered by the Romans, it was made a colony by Ceasar. It was taken by the Turks in 1461. In the Crimean war the Turkish fleet, with the exception of one steamer which escaped, was destroyed here by the Russian fleet under Nakhimoff, with a loss of about 4,000 men, Nov. 30, 1853. The town was bombarded and suffered very severely.