Sioux City, a city and the county seat of Woodbury co., Iowa, on the Missouri river, between Perry and Floyd's creeks, at the intersection of the Sioux City and Pacific, Sioux City and St. Paul, Illinois Central, and Dakota Southern railroads, 156 m. N. W. of Des Moines; pop. in 1870, 3,401; in 1875, about 5,500. The business portion of the city is built upon a dry, well drained bench, which almost imperceptibly slopes 1ST. from the river. N. and W. of the thickly settled part of the city rise low ranges of bluffs, upon whose sides are built some of the finest residences. The streets cross each other at right angles, and the principal ones are graded and furnished with sidewalks. The city is lighted with gas and has a fire department. It has an extensive trade with N. W. Iowa, N. E. Nebraska, and S. Dakota. There are four grain elevators, a pork-packing establishment, a national bank, a private bank, a savings institution, three sawmills, two flouring mills, a foundery and machine shop, three breweries, a gun factory, marble works, etc. The workshops of the Sioux City and St. Paul railroad employ about 75 men.
The city has two fine graded school buildings and three or four ward school houses, attended by about 1,000 pupils; one daily and three weekly (one German) newspapers; a public hall, seating 1,000 persons; a library association; and six churches. - Sioux City was laid out in 1854 and incorporated in 1857.