Sir James Outram, a British soldier, born at Butterley Hall, Derbyshire, Jan. 29, 1803, died in Pau, France, March 11, 18G3. The son of an eminent civil engineer, he was educated at Marischal college, Aberdeen, went to Bombay in 1819, entered the 23d regiment of native infantry, of which he soon became adjutant, and, having distinguished himself by a successful attack upon an insurgent stronghold in Candeish, was sent against the Bheels. He overcame them in battle, and organized from them an irregular military corps. Peace was soon restored to the Bheel country, and he was sent into Guzerat to subdue some rebel chiefs. This he effected by defeating them and conciliating them afterward. He was aide-de-camp to Sir John Xeane in the Afghan war, and in 18-10 took part in the capture of the Beloochee stronghold of Kelat, and, disguised as a native devotee, carried the news of its fall a week's journey through the enemy's country to Kur-rachee. For this he received the brevet rank of major, and was appointed political agent in Lower Sinde. When Sir Charles Napier undertook the conquest of Sinde, Outram was resident at Hydrabad, and endeavored to avert a collision between the ameers and the British. The princes treated him courteously, but the soldiers growing furious and attacking the residency, he defended himself with a small escort, and finally effected an orderly though dangerous retreat.

He condemned the war, and was consequently involved in an acrimonious controversy with Napier. After a short visit to England, he organized an irregular but effective force against the rebels in the South Mahratta country. In 1845 he was appointed resident at Sattara, and in 1847 at Baroda, where he fell into disfavor with the Bombay government, returned to England, and filially secured the approval of the court of directors. In 1854 he was appointed political resident at Lucknow, and in 1856 was commander-in-chief of the British forces in Persia. He defeated the Persians repeatedly, but his career was stopped by the treaty of April, 1857. Returning to India, which was then in the midst of the sepoy rebellion, he took the military command of the Cawnpore and Dina-poor divisions. He relieved Havelock at Cawnpore, Sept. 15, and aided him in the relief of Lucknow, Sept. 25. He conducted the defence of the residency until the rescue by Sir Colin Campbell in November, when he occupied a fort called the Alumbagh, about 4 m. from the city, and during the next few months several times defeated the rebels with great slaughter.

He cooperated with Campbell in the final siege and capture of Lucknow in March, 1858, and was appointed chief civil commissioner there, and afterward member of the supreme council at Calcutta. In the summer of 1860 he returned home, and retired to private life. He was created a baronet in 1858.