Sir Matthew Digby Wyatt, an English architect, born at Rowde, near Devizes, Wiltshire, in 1820. He studied at the royal academy and on the continent, and published " Specimens of the Geometrical Mosaics of the Middle Ages" (1848), and in connection with it a "Historical Notice of the Art." In 1849 the society of arts commissioned him to report upon the exposition held that year in Paris; and in 1851 he superintended the erection of the crystal palace in London. He was next associated with Brunei in designing the Paddington station of the Great Western railway, and between 1852 and 1854 he superintended the fine art department and decorations of the crystal palace at Sydenham. He was appointed surveyor to the East India company in 1856, and executed many important designs for public works in Great Britain and India, including several great bridges. In 1869 he was knighted, and was appointed Slade professor of fine arts at Cambridge. His most important publications are: " The Industrial Arts of the XlXth Century" (2 vols., with 160 plates), written in connection with his labors at the international exhibition of 1851; "Metal Work and its Artistic Designs" (fol., 1852); "Essay on Ivory Carving" (1856), published with photographs in a small folio by the Arundel society; "Art Treasures of the United Kingdom" (1857); "What Illuminating was," and "What Illuminating should be, and how it may be practised" (1861); "Fine Art" (1870); and "An Architect's Note Book in Spain" (1872).