Slavonia, Or Selavonia (Hun. Totorszag), a province of the Austro-IIungarian monarchy, forming with Croatia a kingdom united with that of Hungary, bounded N. and E. by Hungary proper, W. by Croatia, and S. by Turkey; area, inclusive of the recently annexed portions of the former Military Frontier, about G,G00 sq. m.; pop. about 600,000, chiefly belonging to the Greek church. It is divided into the counties of Pozsega, Veroeze, and Sze-rem (Sirmia). Capital, Eszek. The Danube and the Drave separate Slavonia from Hungary, and the Save from Turkey. A branch of the Carnic Alps traverses its whole length. The mountains abound in coal and marble and in mineral springs, and the forests yield valuable timber. There are many extensive plains covered with vineyards, which produce large quantities of excellent red and white wines. Cattle are largely exported to Cis-leithan Austria and Turkey, along with many other products, among which are grain, hemp, flax, tobacco, and silk. The chief manufacture is glass. Among the principal towns arc Peterwardein, Carlovitz, and Semlin on the Danube, and Mitrovitz (anc. Sirmium), Brod, and Old Gradiska on the Save, all formerly included in the Military Frontier. The inhabitants belong to the Illyrico-Servian branch of the Slavs. (See Seevian Language and Literature.) - Under the Romans Slavonia formed part of the province of Pannonia, and was called Pannonia Savia. Later it belonged to the Byzantine empire, until it was occupied by the Avars and Slavs. In the time of Louis le Debonnaire it had its own prince, who submitted to the sovereignty of the Franks. In the 11th century it was incorporated with Hungary. It was conquered by the Turks in 1524, and was formally ceded to them in 1562; but in 1699, by the peace of Carlovitz, it was retroceded to Austria, resuming also its relation to Hungary. Separated from Hungary in 1849, it was reunited with it in 1867-'8 as a part of the kingdom of Croatia and Slavo-nia. (See Croatia, and Hungary).