Spalato, Or Spalatro (anc. Spalatum or Spolatum), a town of Dalmatia, Austria, on a bay of the Adriatic formed by islands, 74 m. S. E. of Zara; pop. in 1870, 15,784. It has been ately much improved and provided with piers and quays. The archbishop of Spalato is primate of Dalmatia and Croatia. It contains a cathedral (anciently a temple of Jupiter) and other churches, an episcopal palace and seminary, a nautical and other schools, and a museum for Roman antiquities, which abound here. The harbor is spacious, and the trade is especially active with Turkey. Spalato belonged for several centuries to Venice, during the Napoleonic era to France, and since 1815 to Austria. - Three miles E. N. E. of Spalato is the village of Salona, which preserves the name of the ancient capital of Dalmatia. Ancient Salona was an extensive city, and a bulwark of the Romans against the Goths and other barbarians. Some of its buildings and many ruins remain. The emperor Diocletian, who was born near it, resided there during his retirement.
A portion of Spalato is on the site of his immense palace, built in 303, and occupying about eight acres, in which the people of Salona took refuge on the destruction of their city by the barbarians; and the name Spalatum is a corruption of Salona Palatium.