Staten Island, an island of New York, constituting with several adjacent islets the county of Richmond, 5 m. S. W. of New York city, from which it is separated by New York bay; length N. E. and S. W. 13 m., greatest breadth 8 m.; area, 58½ sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 33,029; in 1875, 35,241. It is separated from Long Island on the northeast by the Narrows, from New Jersey on the west by Staten Island sound, about 1/3 m. wide, and from the same state on the north by Newark bay and the Kill Yon Kull, and is bounded S. E. and S. by the lower bay and Raritan bay. It is divided into five towns, viz.: Castleton, Middletown, Northfield, Southfield, and Westfield. New Brighton (pop. 7,495 in 1870), Port Richmond (3,028), and Tot-tenville (1,571) are incorporated villages. The surface is mostly level or gently undulating. A broad range of hills, reaching a maximum height of 310 ft., extends E. and W. across the N. portion. Iron ore is found. The island is the residence of a large number of persons engaged in business in New York, with which city it is connected by steam ferries. The Staten Island railroad extends from Clifton at the N. E. to Tottenville at the S. W. extremity.
Fort Tompkins and Fort Wadsworth, with several batteries, command the Narrows. The New York quarantine establishment is situated on artificial islands off the E. shore. Staten Island is the seat of the "Sailors' Snug Harbor," a retreat for superannuated seamen, and of a hospital for seamen and an asylum for destitute, sick, and infirm families of seamen, supported by the " Seamen's Fund and Retreat." (See Richmond, vol. xiv., p. 319).