Staunton, a river in the S. part of Virginia, which rises in Montgomery co., among the Alleghany mountains, flows E. and S. E. through a pass in the Blue Ridge, and with Dan river forms the Roanoke at Clarksville, Mecklenburg co. It is 200 m. long, and in the first 20 m. of its course has a fall of 1,000 ft.
Staunton, a city, county seat of Augusta co., Virginia, on Lewis creek, a tributary of the Shenandoah river, and on the Chesapeake and Ohio railroad at the junction of a branch of the Baltimore and Ohio line, 100 m. direct and 136 m. by rail W. N. W. of Richmond; pop. in 1870, 5,120, of whom 1,535 were colored; in 1875, about 7,000. It is surrounded by a highly productive country, abounding in fine scenery. Stages run to Weyer's and Madison's caves, 18 m., and to the Augusta springs, 12 m. distant. It is the seat of the western state lunatic asylum and of the state institution for the education of the deaf and dumb and the blind, each having fine buildings and grounds. The principal manufactories are two iron founderies, two tobacco factories, and two flour mills. There are three banks, with a capital of $500,000; free public schools, with an attendance of more than 600 white and 300 colored children; a Roman Catholic seminary; Lutheran, Methodist, and Presbyterian female seminaries, having more than 600 pupils; three weekly newspapers; and nine churches, viz.: 2 Baptist (1 colored), 1 Episcopal, 1 Lutheran, 3 Methodist (2 colored), 1 Presbyterian, and 1 Roman Catholic.