Stettin, a town of Prussia, capital of the province of Pomerania, on the left bank of the Oder, 76 m. N.E. of Berlin; pop. in 1871, 76,149. The river is crossed by two bridges, and the town and suburbs are defended by walls, a citadel, and several forts and outworks. Stettin has several fine squares, with monuments of Frederick the Great and Frederick "William III., is generally well built, and possesses a school of navigation, with an observatory. The ancient castle of Stettin, which was the residence of the dukes of Pomerania, contains a collection of northern antiquities. Chemical products, woollen, linen, cotton, sugar, anchors, etc, are manufactured. The imports amounted in 1873 to 87,631,985 thalers, and the exports to 30,394,333 thalers. The registered shipping included 30 sea-going steamers and 178 other vessels.. Vessels drawing over 15 ft. cannot ascend the Oder, and discharge at Swinemunde on the Baltic, 35 m. distant. The town was a considerable place as early as the 9th century, and was a member of the Hanseatic league.
It belonged to Sweden from 1648 to 1720.