Steubenville, a city and the capital of Jefferson co., Ohio, on the Ohio river, here crossed by a railroad bridge, 22 m. N. by E. of Wheeling, W. Va., 35 m. W. of Pittsburgh, Fa., and 125 m. E. by N. of Columbus; pop. in 1860, 6,154; in 1870, 8,107; in 1875, locally estimated at 15,000. It stands on an elevation on the right bank of the river, is well laid out and substantially built, is surrounded by a rich fanning and stock-growing country, and is the centre of an important trade. Abundance of excellent coal is found in the neighborhood, and there are eight shafts within the city limits. The court house is the finest in eastern Ohio. The city has water works, gas works, and two steam lire engines. The Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, and St. Louis railroad, and the river division of the Cleveland and Pittsburgh railroad, intersect here. The river trade is extensive. The chief manufactories are two founderies and machine shops, two rolling mills, a nail mill, two engine and boiler works, three blast furnaces, a flouring mill, two woollen mills, a paper mill, three breweries, and two glass works.
There are two national bank-, two private banks, two savings institutions, nine public schools, including a high school, a female seminary, a Roman Catholic school, two daily and two weekly newspapers, and 18 churches (Christian, Congregational, Episcopal, Lutheran, Methodist, Presbyterian, and Roman Catholic). - A blockhouse was erected on the site of Steubenville in 1786, and in 1787 a fort was built and named in honor of Baron Steuben; but the place was not permanently settled till 1797. It was incorporated as a city in 1851, and in 1871 its limits were extended.