A S. W. County Of Georgia, bounded W. by the Chattahoochee river,'which separates it from Alabama, and drained by several of its tributaries; area, about 500 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 14,204, of whom 9,100 were colored. The soil is fertile. The chief productions in 1870 were 271,288 bushels of Indian corn, 26,103 of sweet potatoes, and 13,643 bales of cotton. There were 703 horses, 1,933 mules and asses, 1,759 milch cows, 3,963 other cattle, 1,150 sheep, and 8,270 swine. Capital, Lumpkin.
A N. W. County Of Tennessee, bordering on Kentucky, intersected by the Cumberland river and bounded W. by the Tennessee; area, about 425 sq. m.; pop. in 1870,12,019, of whom 2,700 were colored. The surface is undulating and the soil very fertile. Valuable iron ore abounds. The Louisville, Nashville, and Great Southern railroad passes through it. The chief productions in 1870 were 31,380 bushels of wheat, 428,311 of Indian corn, 26,623 of oats, 17,635 of Irish and 18,746 of sweet potatoes, 1,809 bales of cotton, 1,191,620 lbs. of tobacco, 16,135 of wool, and 10,335 gallons of sorghum molasses. There were 1,579 horses, 2,158 milch cows, 3,575 other cattle, 8,939 sheep, and 15,652 swine; 3 manufactories of pig iron, and 1 of blooms. Capital, Dover.