Stirling, a town of Scotland, capital of Stirlingshire, on the river Forth, 31 m. "W. N. W. of Edinburgh; pop. in 1871, 14,279. It is on a height at the head of the navigation of the river, which is crossed by two bridges and a railway. Many of the public buildings are very ancient. The castle, which stands upon a rocky height 220 ft. above the plain, holds a prominent place in the history of Scotland, and is connected with most of the important events that occurred in that kingdom before it was annexed to England. The ancient royal palace is still standing, and there is also a palace begun by James V. and finished by his daughter Mary. There are several ancient churches and some modern ones within the town, besides numerous schools. The town house is very ancient, and the old residence of the earl of Mar is very curious. Stirling has manufactories of woollens, leather, ropes, etc. The river is shallow, but a considerable trade is carried on. The Scottish Central railway passes it, and three other railways have their termini at the town.