An E. County Of Massachusetts, bordering on Massachusetts bay; area, about 44 sq. m. It comprises the cities of Boston and Chelsea and the towns of Revere and Winthrop. The population as returned by the census of 1870 was 270,802; the subsequent annexation of the town of West Roxbury from Norfolk co. and the town of Brighton and city of Charlestown from Middlesex co. to Boston added 41,973 inhabitants, making the population within the present limits of Suffolk co. in 1870, 312,775; in 1875, according to the state census, 364,880. The number of manufacturing establishments,, according to the census of 1870, was 2,546; number of hands employed, 43,550; amount of capital invested, $47,311,906; value of materials used during the year, $50,384,305; annual value of products, $111,380,840. Almost every variety of articles is produced. Capital, Boston, which is also the capital of the state.
A S. E. County Of New York, comprising the E. part of Long Island, bounded X. by Long Island sound and E. and S. by the Atlantic, drained by the Peconic river and several smaller streams, and traversed by the Long Island and other railroads; area, 1,200 sq. m.; pop. in 1875, 52,088. The surface is hilly and uneven in the north, but nearly level in the south; the soil is generally sandy, but fertile along the sound. The coast is indented by numerous harbors and inlets, and the county includes several small islands. The chief productions in 1870 were 184.504 bushels of wheat, 35,436 of rye, 515,099 of Indian corn, 322,069 of oats, 20,800 of buckwheat, 557,935 of potatoes, 43,000 tons of hay, 47,108 lbs. of wool, and 564,766 of butter. There were 7,112 horses, 9,269 milch cows, 9,701 other cattle, 14,412 sheep, and 12,024 swine; 0 manufactories of brick, 21 of carriages and wagons, 3 of cotton, 16 of fish oil, 3 of paper, 10 of saddlery and harness, 3 of sails, 12 flour mills, 1 woollen mill, and 19 ship yards. Capital, Riverhead.
Suffolk, a S. E. county of England, bordering on the counties of Norfolk, Cambridge, and Essex, and the North sea; area, 1,481 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 343,479. The coast line extends about 50 m., and a great part of it is low and marshy. The principal streams are the Stour, Orwell, Lark, and Waveney; and there are several small lakes. The surface is undulating, with some flat and marshy tracts, and the soil is generally a rich alluvial loam. The manufactures, with the exception of agricultural implements, are trifling. Fishing is actively carried on. There are many remains of antiquity, including the Roman castle of Burgh, the walls of which are still standing. Suffolk contains two county towns, Ipswich and Bury St. Edmunds; other chief towns arc Eye, Aid-borough, Orford, and Sudbury.