A N. County Of New Jersey, bordering on New York and Pennsylvania, bounded N. W. by the Delaware river, and drained by the Flatkill, Paulinskill, Wallkill, and Pequest; area, 600 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 23,168. The Blue mountains traverse the W. and the Hamburg and Wawayanda mountains the E. part, and the remainder of the surface-is very hilly; the soil is very fertile. The Hopatcong lake is in the S. E. part, and supplies the summit level of the Morris canal; and there are several other small lakes. The Sussex railroad passes through it. Franklinite, iron ore, red oxide of zinc, and other minerals are found. The chief productions in 1870 were 64,532 bushels of wheat, 105,306 of rye, 422,-776 of Indian corn, 268,477 of oats, 72,870 of buckwheat, 81,006 of potatoes, 40,335 tons of hay, 11,959 lbs. of wool, and 1,455,788 of butter. There were 4,230 horses, 17,376 milch cows, 5,338 other cattle, 3,976 sheep, and 14,-414 swine; 8 manufactories of cheese, 1 of pig iron, 3 of castings, 5 of tanned and 5 of curried leather, 18 flour and 7 saw mills, and 6 distilleries.
A S. County Of Delaware, bordering on Maryland, Delaware bay, and the Atlantic, and drained by affluents of the Nanticoke and Pocomoke rivers and other streams; area, about 1,000 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 31,696, of whom 5,438 were colored. The surface is almost level, and the soil fertile. It is intersected by the Delaware division of the Philadelphia, Wilmington, and Baltimore railroad, and the Junction and Breakwater railroad. The chief productions in 1870 were 69,239 bushels of wheat, 1,122,693 of Indian corn, 55,779 of oats, 87,300 of Irish and 53,390 of sweet potatoes, 3,161 tons of hay, 25,566 lbs. of tobacco, 185,005 of butter, 23,-517 of honey, and 32,347 gallons of sorghum molasses. There were 4,074 horses, 1,265 mules and asses, 6,127 milch cows, 4,250 working oxen, 6,968 other cattle, 12,213 sheep, and 18,409 swine; 1 woollen mill, 5 flour mills, and 20 saw mills. Capital, Georgetown.
A S. E. County Of Virginia, bounded N. E. by Blackwater river and intersected by the Nottoway; area, 400 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 7,885, of whom 4,923 were colored. The surface is hilly and the soil fertile. It is intersected by the Atlantic, Mississippi, and Ohio, and the Richmond, Fredericksburg, and Potomac railroads. The chief productions in 1870 were 118,305 bushels of Indian corn, 21,357 of oats, 7,223 of Irish and 9,818 of sweet potatoes, 16,110 lbs. of tobacco, 1,833 of wool, and 21,-528 of butter. There were 546 horses, 876 milch cows, 1,682 other cattle, 1,352 sheep, and 5,731 swine. Capital, Sussex Court House.
Sussex, a S. E. county of England, bordering on Surrey, Kent, the English channel, and Hampshire; area, 1,464 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 417,407. The coast line is not much broken, the most remarkable projection being Beachy Head, 564 ft. above the sea. A range of chalk hills, called the North Downs, crosses the N. E. part of the county; and the South Downs, with an average height of 500 ft. and from 4 to 6 m. broad, run through its entire length nearly parallel to the coast. The principal rivers are the Arun, Adur, and Ouse. The county is purely agricultural, and wheat and hops are the chief products. The downs are principally used for pasturage, and are famous for their mutton. Sussex is remarkably rich in antiquities. It is divided into East and West Sussex, and has two county towns, Chichester and Lewes; the other towns of greatest importance are Brighton, Hastings, New Shore-ham, Rye, Arundel, and Newhaven.