Swansea (Welsh, Abertawy), a town of Glamorganshire, Wales, on the W. bank of the river Tawy, where it falls into the bay of Swansea, Bristol channel, GO m. W. N. W. of Bristol; pop. in 1871, 51,702. It is much resorted to for sea bathing. There are extensive anthracite mines in the neighborhood, which, together with the convenience of the port, have made it the principal seat of the copper trade of Great Britain. Copper ore is brought hither for smelting from Cuba, North and South America, Australia, etc. There are also iron, tin plate, and zinc works, potteries, and ship yards. The port was entered in 1873 by 6,885 British vessels, tonnage 877,241, and 1,165 foreign vessels, tonnage 197,062. There were cleared 6,612 vessels, tonnage 859,619, of which 1,258 were foreign, tonnage 216,527. The exports in the same year were valued at £1,855,712. The exports of coal in the year ending with February, 1875, were 30,592 tons, and the coastwise shipments 17,874 tons. There are extensive docks; the first floating dock was built at Swansea in 1852. Large vessels can come close to the town at flood, but at ebb the harbor is nearly dry.