Talladega, a N. E. county of Alabama, bounded W. by the Coosa river and drained by Ohockolocko creek and other streams; area, about 700 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 18,064, of whom 9,595 were colored. The surface is moderately hilly and the soil fertile. The Sel-ma, Rome, and Dalton railroad traverses it. The chief productions in 1870 were 69,321 bushels of wheat, 284,783 of Indian corn, 42,-821 of oats, 14,469 of sweet potatoes, 5,697 bales of cotton, 5,784 lbs. of wool, and 53,167 of butter. There were 922 horses, 1,786 mules and asses, 5,333 cattle, 2,355 sheep, and 6,947 swine; 4 tanneries, 3 currying establishments, and 2 saw mills. Capital, Talladega.
Talladega, a city and the capital of Talladega co., Alabama, on the Sclma, Pome, and Dalton railroad, 78 m. N. by E. of Montgomery; pop. in 1870, 1,933, of whom 1,013 were colored; in 1875, about 3,000. It is the seat of the state institution for the deaf and dumb and the blind, of a Presbyterian female seminary, and of Talladega college. The college was incorporated in 1869, and is sustained by the American missionary society. It admits both sexes and colors, and has in operation preparatory, theological, and normal courses, and grammar, intermediate, and primary departments. In 1874-'5 it had 13 instructors and 247 students. ■ Talladega has two weekly newspapers and six churches, and trade in cotton, wheat, etc. On its site, Nov. 9, 1813, Gen. Jackson gained a victory over the Creeks.