Tangier, Or Tangiers (Moorish, Tanja), a city and seaport of Morocco, near the W. entrance of the strait of Gibraltar, in lat 35° 47' N., Ion. 5° 48' W.; pop, about 12,000. It is on high ground overlooking a spacious bay, surrounded by a wall, and defended by several forts. Its streets are narrow and dirty. The harbor was once good, but is now so filled up with sand that vessels of 300 or 400 tons only can enter it. The entrances in 1873 were 525 vessels, tonnage 48,956; clearances 520, tonnage 49,036. The total value of the imports was $1,758,125, of which $600,000 was in specie; of the exports, $1,216,080. Its trade consists principally in supplying Gibraltar, Cadiz, and Lisbon with provisions. - Tangier is the ancient Tingis, supposed to have been founded by the Carthaginians. It was an important city under the Romans, and under Claudius became the capital of Mauritania Tingitana. In 1471 it fell into the hands of the Portuguese, who held it till 1662, when it was ceded to England as a part of the dowry of Catharine of Braganza, queen of Charles II. The British abandoned it in 1684, after destroying the mole which they had built.
In 1844 it was bombarded by the French.