Tarablus, Or Tarabulus Tripoli (anc. Tripolis), a seaport town of Syria, on the Mediterranean, in lat. 34° 26' N., lon. 35° 49' E., 40 m. N. N. E. of Beyrout, and 70 m. N. W. of Damascus; pop. about 16,000, one half Greek Catholics. It stands at the foot of an offset of Mt. Lebanon, on a small triangular plain, with the sea at a little distance on the N and S. sides. A hill on the south is crowned by an old castle; and the town is divided into two parts by the Nahr Kadisha. The harbor, at El Mina, about 1½- m. to the northwest, is small, shallow, and unsafe. There are several mosques, which are generally fine buildings, most of them formerly Christian churches. It is one of the neatest towns in Syria, and is surrounded by many fine gardens and groves of orange and other fruit trees; but the ground in the neighborhood is marshy, and the climate is unhealthful at certain seasons. It exports silk, wool, cotton, tobacco, wax, oil, cochineal, galls, soap, and especially sponges, the fishery of which occupies a large number of the inhabitants. The direct imports into Tripoli in 1869 were valued at $61,050, and in 1872 at $154,900; the direct exports, $292,425 in 1869, and $62,-959 in 1872. The commerce is chiefly in the hands of Greeks. French steamers touch here four times a month.
It is the see of a Greek bishop, and the residence of several consuls. - Tripolis was an important maritime town of Phoenicia, and derived its name from being the colony of the three cities of Tyre, Sidon, and Aradus, each holding a separate quarter of it. Having been taken by the crusaders, it was in 1109 erected into a county for Raymond of Toulouse.