A N. E. Province Of Spain, in Catalonia, bordering on the Mediterranean and the provinces of Lerida, Barcelona, Cas-tellon, Teruel, and Saragossa; area, 2,451 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 350,395. The province is traversed from N. to S. by the Prades mountain range, which has numerous offsets that extend to the coast, and the intervening valleys are very fertile. The only river of importance is the Ebro. There are mines of lead, copper, silver, and manganese, and the hills are covered with pine, cork, and oak. Good wine is produced, and.there are many manufactories of silk, woollen, velvet, and cotton goods, oil, soap, pottery, and brandy.
A City (Anc. Tarraco), capital of the province, on the Mediterranean, at the mouth of the Fran-coli, 273 m. E. N. E. of Madrid; pop. about 18,000. It is fortified, and consists of two parts, the high and the low. It is the seat of an archbishop. There are schools of navigation and design, and an ecclesiastical seminary. The mole, begun in 1790 and finished in 1874, is 4,242 ft. long. The exports to the United States for the year ending Sept. 30, 1874, chiefly wine, nuts, and liquorice, amounted to $286,212. - The town is supposed to have been originally settled by the Phoenicians. Under the Romans it was the capital of Hispania Tarraconensis, and is said to have contained 1,000,000 inhabitants. There are remains of a Roman amphitheatre and aqueduct. It was captured by the Goths, was destroyed by the Moors under Tarik, and remained uninhabited for four centuries. It was captured by the British in the war of succession. In 1811 the French under Suchet took it by storm. In the middle ages a number of church councils were held in Tarragona.