Taurida, a S. government of European Russia, bordering on the governments of Kherson and Yekaterinoslav, the sea of Azov, and the Black sea; area, 24,537 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 704,997, a large part Tartars. The government includes the Crimea (the Tauris of the ancients, whence the name Taurida), which comprises nearly one third of the area and population, and contains the capital Simferopol, and the principal port and naval station Sebastopol. (See Crimea.) The N. part is a dry elevated country, with a sandy soil impregnated with salt, and without trees, but with some rich valleys that produce luxuriant herbage. Agriculture is little attended to, and the country is chiefly devoted to rearing cattle. A few small streams flow into the sea of Azov, but the only river of importance is the Dnieper on the N. W. frontier. Numerous tongues of land formed by alluvial deposits project from the S. coast, the most extensive of which lies S. of the estuary of the Dnieper, and was anciently called Achilleos Dromos, or Race Course of Achilles. Salt, saltpetre, and naphtha are abundant, and marble is quarried.