Terre Haute, a city and the capital of Vigo co., Indiana, on the E. bank of the Wabash river, here spanned by three bridges, 70 m. W. S. W. of Indianapolis, and 55 m. N. of Vincennes; pop. in 1850, 4,051; in 1860, 8,594; in 1870, 16,103. It is situated on an elevated plateau, is well built, and has broad streets ornamented with shade trees. It is the centre of trade for a rich and populous region, abounding in coal. It is connected with Lake Erie by the Wabash and Erie canal. The Wabash river is navigable a portion of the year for steamboats, and shipments are made direct to and from points on the Ohio and Mississippi rivers. The city is an important railroad centre, being the point of intersection of seven lines, viz.: the Cincinnati and Terre Haute; Evansville, Terre Haute, and Chicago; Terre Haute, Paris, and Decatur; Evansville and Crawfordsville; Indianapolis and St. Louis; St. Louis, Vanda-lia, Terre Haute, and Indianapolis; and Lo-gansport, Crawfordsville, and Southwestern. There are numerous large factories, blast furnaces, glass and iron works, machine shops, nail works, etc. Pork packing is extensively carried on.
Terre Haute has a handsome court house, a commodious market house and city hall, a good opera house, two orphan asylums, eight fine public school buildings, and several private schools and academies, and is the seat of the state normal school. There are three daily, a tri-weekly (German), and six weekly (one German) newspapers, two public libraries, and 20 churches. Terre Haute was laid out in 1816, and incorporated as a city in 1853.