A W. County Of Tennessee, bordering on the Mississippi river, and bounded N. by the Hatchie; area, 370 sq. m.; pop. in 1870,14,884, of whom 6,891 were colored. It has a level surface and fertile soil. Its S. E. corner is intersected by the Louisville and Nashville and Great Southern railroad. The chief productions in 1870 were 30,579 bushels of wheat, 446,771 of Indian corn, 18,681 of oats, 12,104 of Irish and 18,380 of sweet potatoes, 74,777 lbs. of butter, and 10,052 bales of cotton. There were 1,879 horses, 1,851 mules and asses, 2,784 milch cows, 4,315 other cattle, 4,675 sheep, and 20,240 swine. Capital, Covington.
A Central County Of Indiana, drained by Cicero creek and other streams; area, 280 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 11,953. The surface is level and the soil fertile. It is intersected by the Indianapolis, Peru, and Chicago, and the Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, and St. Louis railroads. The chief productions in 1870 were 149,822 bushels of wheat, 357,835 of Indian corn, 21,487 of oats, 25,413 of potatoes, 30,648 lbs. of wool, 179,905 of butter, and 4,892 tons of hay. There were 2,967 horses, 2,059 milch cows, 3,691 other cattle, 10,762 sheep, and 11,835 swine; 1 flour mill, 14 saw mills, and 1 woollen factory. Capital, Tipton.