Tompkins, a central county of New York, drained by several tributaries of Cayuga lake, the head of which lies in the N. part, and traversed by several railroads; area, 506 sq. m.; pop. in 1875, 32,915. The surface is hilly, the valley of the lake being 700 ft. below the ridges on either side, and the soil is generally best adapted to grazing. Cayuga'lake supplies' water communication with the Erie canal. The chief productions in 1870 were 291,194 bushels of wheat, 422,411 of Indian corn, 737,741 of oats, 236,183 of barley, 143,917 of buckwheat, 273,941 of potatoes, 63,681 lbs. of tobacco, 169,867 of wool, 62,390 of flax, 1,834,029 of butter, and 70,907 tons of hay. There were 8,804 horses, 16,402 milch cows, 11,369 other cattle, 35,372 sheep, and 7,462 swine; 11 manufactories of agricultural implements, 24 of carriages and wagons, 1 of cars, 7 of cheese, 1 of clocks, 12 of furniture, 3 of hubs and wagon material, 7 of iron castings, 4 of machinery, 1 of organs, 2 of printing paper, 6 of tobacco and cigars, 4 of woollens, 26 flour mills, 19 saw mills, 8 tanneries, and 5 currying establishments.