Torgau, a town of Prussia, in the province of Saxony, on the left bank of the Elbe, 26 m. S. E. of Wittenberg; pop. in 1871, 10,807. The principal public building is the Hartenfels palace, containing a church consecrated by Luther, whose wife, Katharina von Bora, died here. It has manufactories of linen and woollen goods and a brass foundery. The elector of Saxony and the landgrave of Hesse concluded here a league for the defence of the reformation, March, 1526. In 1576 a conference of Protestant theologians, assembled by the elector Augustus, elaborated here the " Book of Torgau," which formed the basis of the Concordia Formula. The town was nearly destroyed in the thirty years' war. In the seven years' war Frederick the Great here defeated the Austrians under Daun, Nov. 3, 1760. Napoleon was the original builder (1810) of the present strong fortifications. Torgau was surrendered to the Germans in January, 1814, after a siege of several months, during which more than 25,000 French soldiers died of typhus fever.