A Province Of Sicily, comprising the W. extremity of the island, bounded E. by Palermo and Girgenti, and on the other sides by the Mediterranean; area, 1,214 sq. m.; pop. in 1872, 236,388. The coast line is irregular, and there are several bays, the largest of which is the gulf of Castellamare. The most important of the numerous islands off the W. coast are the three anciently called the AEgates, viz., Favignana, Levanzo, and Mari-timo. The surface of Trapani is traversed by several offsets from the Madonian mountains. The soil is generally fertile.
A City (Anc. Drepanum Or Drepana), capital of the province, on a peninsula which extends into the Mediterranean, 46 m. W. S. W. of Palermo; pop. in 1872, 33,634. It has a small harbor protected by a fort. The churches are exceedingly numerous, and there is a lyceum, a gymnasium, and an archaeological museum endowed in 1875 by Cavaliere Depoli. The salt works and fisheries are of some importance. - Drepanum was founded by Hamilcar during the first Punic war, about 260 B. C, who transferred hither the inhabitants of the neighboring Eryx; and it remained one of the chief strongholds of the Carthaginians throughout this war. Off its port they gained a great naval victory under Adherbal in 249, destroying nearly the whole Roman fleet; and it was in attempting to raise its siege by the Roman consul Catulus in 241, that their ships under Hanno suffered off the island of Favignana (anc. AEgusa) the defeat which ended the war.