Trent, a river of England, which rises in Staffordshire, 4 m. N. of Burslem, flows through the central part of the country, and near Burton-on-Strather, Lincolnshire, joins the Ouse to form the estuary called the Hum-ber. Its course is first S. E., then N. E., and finally N. Its total length is about 150 m., of which 25 m., as far as Gainsborough, is navigable for vessels of 200 tons, and 117 m., reaching to Burton-on-Trent, for barges of 25 tons. Its chief tributaries on the right are the Sow, Tame, Soar, and Devon, and on the left the Blyth, Dove, and Derwent; and it is connected with other navigable waters by canals. Stoke and Nottingham are situated on its banks.
Trent (Ital. Trento; Ger. Trient; anc. Tridentum), a city of Tyrol, Austria, on the left bank of the Adige, 83 m. S. by AY. of Innspruck; pop. in 1870, 17,073. It is in a beautiful valley, surrounded on the east by mountains, and is Italian in its architecture. It has a cathedral built entirely of marble in the Byzantine style. In the church of Sta. Maria Maggiore, of red marble, are the portraits of the members of the council of Trent, which was held in that building. The extensive castle is generally the residence of the local prince-bishop. Silk is the principal manufacture; wine is largely produced; and there is an active transit trade. - The ancient Tridentum was a town of the Rhaatians, and subsequently became a Roman colony. Under the old German empire it was a free imperial city, ruled by prince-bishops. In 1802 it passed under the domination of Austria.