A N. E. Province Of Italy, in Venetia, bordering on the gulf of Venice; area, 941 sq. m.; pop. in 1872, 352,538. It is level, excepting in the north, and is one of the most fertile regions of that part of Italy. The main river is the Piave. The chief products are hemp, flax, grain, wine, and timber. It is divided into the districts of Treviso, Ceneda, Castelfranco, Oderzo, Asolo, Valdobbiadene, Montebelluno, and Conegliano.
A Fortified City (Anc. Tarvisium), capital of the province, on the Sile, 15 m. 1ST. 1ST. W. of Venice; pop. in 1872, 28,291. . It is the seat of a bishop, and has an unfinished cathedral, with works by Titian and Paul Veronese, a large Gothic church, a celebrated palace of justice, a lyceum, gymnasium, seminary, and academy of science. In the 13th century it was captured and oppressed by Ezzelino da Romano; in the 14th it was successively ruled by Francesco della Scala of Verona, by Venice, Austria, and Padua, and was with its territory in the possession of Venice from 1388 till the occupation of the town in 1797 by the French under Mortier, who in 1807 received the title of duke of Treviso. It afterward belonged to Austria. In March, 1848, it was taken bythe revolutionists, but the Austrians regained it on June 24, after a second bombardment. In 1866 it became part of the kingdom of Italy.