Trichinopoly, Or Trichinapalli, a town of British India, capital of a district of the same name in Madras, on the right bank of the river Cavery, in lat. 10° 47' K, Ion. 78° 43' E., 190 m. S. S. W. of the city of Madras, with which it is connected by rail; pop. about 30,000. The fort of Trichinopoly is built on a granite rock about 600 ft. high. Outside the densely populated native town, which was formerly enclosed within the walls of the fortress, are extensive barracks, hospitals, public rooms, a church and Roman Catholic chapel, and the tomb of Bishop Heber, who died here. The surrounding country is fertile and populous; and the island of Seringham, which is here formed by the Cavery, is famous for the size and wealth of the Hindoo pagodas upon it. Trichinopoly is the southernmost station of British troops in India, and was occupied by 169 European infantry in 1872-'3. Cotton cloths, hardware, harness, cheroots, indigo, and jewelry are manufactured and exported to different parts of India and Mauritius. - Trichinopoly, after the death of its last rajah in 1732, fell under the sway of the nawaub of Arcot, and subsequently changed hands several times, figuring conspicuously in the contests of the French and English for supremacy in India. It finally came under English government with the rest of the Carnatic in 1801.