An E. County Of Texas, bounded N. E. by the Neches and S. W. by the Trinity river, and drained by several creeks; area, 945 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 4,141, of whom 1,084 were colored. The surface is nearly level, and the soil fertile. The Houston and Great Northern railroad passes through the W. part. The chief productions in 1870 were 94,240 bushels of Indian corn, 31,083 of sweet potatoes, 48,-260 lbs. of butter, and 2,205 bales of cotton. There were 1,318 horses, 4,872 milch cows, 10,051 other cattle, 1,694 sheep, and 12,648 swine. Capital, Sumter.
A N. W. County Of California, bounded E. by the Coast range, intersected by the Trinity, and drained by tributaries of Eel river; area, 1,800 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 3,213, of whom 1,099 were Chinese. The surface is generally hilly and in the E. part mountainous, Mt. Linn, the highest peak of the range, lying in the S. E. corner. There are extensive forests of fir, pine, and oak. Gold mining is prosecuted to a considerable extent, and other valuable minerals are found. The chief productions in 1870 were 9,898 bushels of wheat, 5,658 of potatoes, and 1,017 tons of hay. There were 185 horses, 425 milch cows, 1,283 other cattle, 371 swine, and 5 saw mills. Capital, Weaverville.
A River Of Texas, formed by the West fork and Elm fork, which rise near the N. boundary of the state, and, after a course of about 150 m. each, unite in Dallas co., whence the main stream flows in a tortuous but generally S. S. E. direction to the N. extremity of Galveston bay, about 35 m. from Galveston city. Its whole course lies through a valley of great fertility, occupied in part by extensive plantations of corn, cotton, rice, and sugar. The length of the main stream is about 550 m., of which about 250 m. is navigable.
A River Of California, rising in Trinity co., and flowing S. S. E., then S. W., and finally N. W. into the Klamath river, in lat. 41° 20' N. It is celebrated for its rich gold mines.