Tuileries, a royal palace in Paris, between the Seine and the rue de Rivoli, and E. of the Place de la Concorde, so named because it stood on the site of a former manufactory of tiles (Fr. tuilerie). It was commenced in 1564 by Catharine de' Medici, who built the central pavilion de Vhorloge, and the two adjoining wings and their pavilions. Henry IV. added a range of buildings with a lofty pavilion at each end, the whole presenting a facade 336 yards in length by 36 in depth. He also commenced the gallery fronting the Seine connecting the S. extremity of the building with the Louvre, continued by Louis XIII., and finished by Louis XIV. The latter replaced the spherical dome of the pavilion de Vhorloge by a quadrangular one; and in 1808 Napoleon I. began the northern gallery along the rue de Rivoli, which was completed by Napoleon III., when the Tuileries and the Louvre formed a connected pile, enclosing the Place dn Carrousel. The front of the building was imposing, and the interior unsurpassed in magnificence by any other royal residence. After the removal of the court to the palace of Versailles in 1672 no French king lived in the Tuileries until 1789, when Louis XVI. was compelled to remove thither. On Aug. 10, 1792, the people stormed the building and massacred the Swiss body guard.
It was the residence of Napoleon during the consulate and empire, and of the Bourbons after the restoration. In July, 1830, it was again taken by the people; and at the expulsion of Louis Philippe in February, 1848, it was for the third time ransacked. It was the residence of Napoleon III., who renovated and greatly improved it. The palace itself, with a small part of both* extensions connecting with the Louvre,* was destroyed by fire by the communists in May, 1871. The gardens of the Tuileries, extending west to the Place de la Concorde, comprising 50 acres, and among the most attractive public resorts in Paris, suffered severely during the war of 1870-71, but in 1876 had been thoroughly restored.