Tuscarawas, an E. county of Ohio, intersected by the Tuscarawas river, one of the head streams of the Muskingum; area, 520 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 33,840. The surface is undulating and the soil fertile. Iron ore and bituminous coal abound. It is traversed by the Ohio canal, the Tuscarawas branch of the Cleveland and Pittsburgh railroad, and the Lake Shore and Tuscarawas Valley and the Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, and St. Louis railroads. The chief productions in 1870 were 509,295 bushels of wheat, 20,520 of rye, 723,659 of Indian corn, 683,594 of oats, 18,192 of barley, 133,705 of potatoes, 496,414 lbs. of wool, 917,708 of butter, 97,112 of cheese, and 41,459 tons of hay. There were 9,188 horses, 10,077 milch cows, 11,369 other cattle, 128,301 sheep, and 20,361 swine; 3 manufactories of agricultural implements, 3 of brick, 24 of carriages and wagons, 13 of clothing, 1 of pig iron, 4 of iron castings, 13 of saddlery and harness, 3 of salt, 5 of woollen goods, 16 flour mills, 16 tanneries, 13 currying establishments, 3 breweries, 3 planing mills, and 8 saw mills.
Capital, New Philadelphia.