A Central Government Of Russia, bordering on Novgorod, Yaroslav, Vladimir, Moscow, Smolensk, and Pskov; area, 25,223 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 1,528,881. The surface is elevated in the south, and slopes toward the north, where it terminates in an extensive plain. The Volga rises in this goverment, and is connected with the Neva by canal. Among the numerous other rivers is the Düna. There are several lakes, the largest of which, Lake Seliger, covers 76 sq. m. The soil is inferior, and the quantity of grain raised is scarcely sufficient for home consumption. A large portion of the surface is covered with forests, principally birch, beech, and pine. The railway connecting Moscow with St. Petersburg passes through the government, and, together with its water communication with the Baltic, Black, and Caspian seas, gives it an important transit trade.
A City, capital of the government, at the junction of the Tvertza with the Volga, 98 m. N. W. of Moscow; pop. about 30,000. It has a fortress, a suburb on the opposite bank of the Volga, streets and squares beautifully rebuilt after the fire of 1763, fine promenades, a female gymnasium and one for boys, a large Gothic cathedral and 30 other churches, and many private and public palaces. Tver is the chief emporium of the upper Volga, with an extensive trade. In former times it was the capital of the grand duchy of Tver, and n6w it is the seat of an archbishop and a governor general.