Warwick, a S. E. county of Virginia, on the peninsula between the York and James rivers, bordering on the latter, and drained by several small streams; area, 95 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 1,672, of whom 1,052 were colored. The surface is undulating, and the soil very fertile. Oysters and firewood are largely exported. The chief productions in 1870 were 4,350 bushels of wheat. 35,794 of Indian corn, 7,653 of oats, 4,210 of Irish and 2,217 of sweet potatoes. There were 140 horses, 246 milch cows, 329 other cattle, and 1,140 swine. Capital, Warwick Court House.
Warwick, a town of Kent co., Rhode Island, 10 m. S. by W. of Providence, bordering on Narragansett bay and intersected by the Stonington and Providence railroad; pop. in 1870, 10,453; in 1875, 11,614. In the town are several villages engaged in manufactures, the principal of which are Natick, Phoenix, Centreville, River Point, Lippitt, Arctic, and Crompton. The Warwick railroad extends to Rocky Point and Oakland Beach, popular summer resorts. Drum rock, near the village of Apponaug, is a large rock so nicely balanced upon another that a boy can set it in motion, producing a drum-like noise which can be heard for several miles. There are in the town 22 cotton mills, 2 woollen mills, 2 bleacheries, and 2 calico works, 2 banks, 2 newspaper offices, 15 churches, and 20 public and private schools. It is one of the oldest towns in the state, having been settled previous to 1642.
Warwick, a municipal and parliamentary borough of England, capital of Warwickshire, on the right bank of the Avon, here crossed by a stone bridge, and on the London and Northwestern railway, 85 m. N. W. of London; pop. in 1871, 10,986. It is an ancient place, and contains one of the finest feudal castles in the kingdom. One of the towers, 128 ft. high, dates from the latter part of the 14th century; another, 147 ft. high, is still older, but of uncertain date. This castle was partially burned, Dec. 3, 1871, and some of its paintings, suits of armor, and other antiquities were lost. Its valuable collections had long been open to the public, and the restoration of the castle was begun by subscription prior to 1873. The town has some manufactures.