Washtenaw, a S. E. county of Michigan, drained by Huron and Raisin rivers and their branches; area, 720 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 41,434; in 1874, 38,723. It has an undulating surface, diversified by prairie and woodland, and interspersed with numerous small lakes and ponds. The soil is a rich sandy loam. It is traversed by the Michigan Central, the Michigan Southern, and other railroads. The chief productions in 1870 were 1,050,311 bushels of wheat, 874,822 of Indian corn, 418,138 of oats, 120,543 of barley, 350,409 of potatoes, 1,248,586 lbs. of butter, 18,500 of cheese, 906,011 of wool, and 76,678 tons of hay. There were 11,215 horses, 11,272 milch cows, 11,979 other cattle, 187,059 sheep, and 19,474 swine. The whole number of manufacturing establishments was 544; capital invested, $1,717,670; value of products, $3,668,462. The principal establishments were 7 manufactories of agricultural implements, 5 of boots and shoes, 32 of carriages and wagons, 36 of clothing, 30 of cooperage, 7 of furniture, 3 of printing paper, 14 of saddlery and harness, 5 of sash, doors, and blinds, 5 of woollens, 19 flour mills, 6 tanneries, 6 currying establishments, 2 planing mills, and 14 saw mills.

Capital, Ann Arbor.