A S. County Of Ireland, in the province of Munster, bordering on Cork, Tipperary, Kilkenny, and Wexford counties, Waterford harbor, and St. George's channel; area, 713 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 122,825. The coast is in general bold and rocky, but has four good harbors, Waterford at the east and Youghal at the west, and Dungarvan harbor and Tramore bay between them. The surface is mountainous, the Knockmealdown ridge and the Cummeragh or Monavullagh mountains occupying the greater portion. Copper mines are worked; there are also lead and iron mines (not now worked), potters' clay, and marble. The county is drained by the Suir, navigable for large vessels to Waterford, and for boats to Carrick-on-Suir; and by the Blackwater, navigable for small vessels. The principal staples are butter and bacon. There are extensive fisheries, employing about 1,100 men and boys.
A City, capital of the county, 83 m. S. S. W. of Dublin, with which, as well as with Limerick and Cork, it is connected by rail; pop. in 1871, 23,349. It is on the right bank of the river Suir, 9 m. above its entrance into Waterford harbor, and has an extensive suburb (Ferrybank) on the left bank. There are two parish churches, a Roman Catholic cathedral and college, an exchange, custom house, theatre, etc. The quay, the finest in Ireland, extends three fourths of a mile along the river, with a general width of 40 yards, and has sufficient depth of water for vessels of 800 tons. The exports, chiefly to England, are agricultural and dairy products, cattle, sheep, and pigs. - The town was probably founded about 850, when Sithric the Dane made it his capital. At the lower end of the quay is a Danish tower erected by Reginald, son of Imar, in 1003. In 1171 Strongbow, earl of Pembroke, and Raymond le Gros took Waterford and put to death most of the Danish inhabitants. King John gave it its first charter, and resided here for some time. The town was unsuccessfully besieged by Cromwell, but afterward was captured by Ireton. There are remains of the old fortifications and relics of ancient monasteries.
Curraghmore, the seat of the marquis of Waterford, containing 4,000 acres, is near the city.
Waterford, a town and village of Saratoga co., New York, at the junction of the Hudson and Mohawk rivers, and on the Rensselaer and Saratoga railroad, 10 m. N. by E. of Albany; pop. of the town in 1870, 3,631; of the village, 3,071; of the town in 1875, 4,392. The Hudson is navigable by tugs and barges to this point. The Champlain canal passes through the village, where are a weigh lock and locks for passing boats into the Hudson. Horse cars run to Troy, 3 m. distant. The falls of the Mohawk furnish water power, which is made available by a hydraulic canal ½ m. long, constructed in 1828-9. The chief establishments are an iron foundery, boiler shop, two stock and die factories, two machine shops, nut factory, valve factory, hay-press factory, paper mill, two straw board mills, two lampblack factories, cement sewer-pipe works, sash and blind factory, veneer sawing mill, flouring mill, soap and candle factory, three knitting mills, and a fire engine factory. Several of these are among the oldest of the kind in the country.
There are a bank, three public school houses, a weekly newspaper, and five churches. - The village was laid out in 1784 under the name of Halfmoon Point, and was incorporated under its present name in 1801. The town was set off from the town of Halfmoon in 1816.